Here are our top 6 of the dog friendliest countries in Europe. We came down to these results based on our personal experiences of our many years of traveling with our dogs of all sizes and tempers. Our main criteria were accessibility to transportation, cafes, restaurants, hotels, and overall attitude and feeling.
- Italy: heaven for dogs! Especially in Northern Italy, dogs are allowed everywhere, and dog owners are widely seen surfing the day along with their furry friends. Italians spoil their dogs with treats, and fancy dog accessories and dog-friendly services are offered exceptionally in this country. Dogs are even allowed in sightseeing tours and archaeological sites. Congrats Italy!
- Switzerland: Swiss people are very friendly towards dogs both when interacting with locals and with businesses. Dogs are allowed in public transportation and in most cafes and restaurants. Natural landscapes make Switzerland the most adventurous place for every dog.
- Netherlands: Your life is so easy when walking around with a dog in the Netherlands. Dogs are allowed in cafes, restaurants, hotels, and this includes large-sized dogs too! Dutch people demonstrate a great attitude towards dogs, and this dog-friendly vibe is everywhere.
- Czech Republic: with the largest percentage of dog owners population per overall population in Europe, the Czech Republic is also a top dog-friendly destination both in terms of attitude and infrastructure. Dogs are allowed for free in public transportation, and there are many options when it comes to dining, accommodation, and activities. Well done, Czech Republic!
- Germany: a champion in culture towards dog allowance in public spaces, office spaces, transportation, hospitality, cafes, and restaurants. German people love their dogs, and they have succeeded in bringing them everywhere. Dog training is a must among German dog owners, so it is rare to see a dog disturbing others. Congrats Germany!
- Belgium: travelers with dogs have almost nothing to worry about since their precious companions are basically allowed everywhere. There are so many outdoor activities you may enjoy with your dog and a very social life in cafes, restaurants and even some terrace bars! Well done, Belgium!